Thursday 9 June 2016

30 Days Wild: Day 9

30 Days Wild: Day 9
Install new bird feeder 

I have been feeding birds from hanging bird feeders for a few years now. I have 2 bird feeders to hang food from. I decided that I needed a feeder to perhaps attract more ground feeders. 

My current feeders most commonly attract Starlings, Sparrows, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pigeons. These birds are mainly attracted to the fat and live food feeders and I always enjoy watching them. I have a clear view of most of my garden from the kitchen window. I report what I see to Garden Birdwatch.

I would like to see some other birds as well and so I thought I would try a ground feeding station. It was built (from a kit) and successfully installed in the garden today.
I filled it with seeds, fat and fruit. I have been watching it today and nothing has tried the food on offer, but I suspect it will take a couple of days at least.
Here it is:


 

2 comments:

  1. Once the small birds find it I'm sure they'll be in and out all the time - and maybe sheltering in there from the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now seen a Starling in there. Something's eaten all the fruit so I've put a camera out there to see what's been in.

      Delete